Sunday, August 17, 2014

Waffle House and Other Short Stories

     I did decide to go to Waffle House last night. It was around 2 AM before I got out there. No one else was awake, so I went by myself. Ate too much food. Had great service. Waffle House was a really popular place at 2 AM. It's kind of out of the way (gotta get on the highway to get there. And everywhere.) so I figured most students would go somewhere closer. Nope. I got the last open spot at the counter.

     Made it home from Waffle House a little after 2:30 and decided to go to bed. Laid tossing and turning for a while, wondering why I couldn't sleep. Figured it was probably nerves or something. After all, college is a big change. Then I remembered I drank 4 cups of coffee at Waffle House. That was probably it.
     
     Even when it's 3 AM when you go to bed, it's completely possible to wake up at 7. Without an alarm clock or anything. I didn't know this before, but I do now. Woke up to rain, which was awesome because I never did get that window shut. Struggled for a while with it, and I finally got it to shut. The only fitting end to my struggle with the window would be for the rain to end just as I got it shut. That's exactly what happened. I'm not amused by this window. It's my rival.

     I got cleaned up and walked to the dining hall for some breakfast.  Hopped in line and got an omelette with the works. It was amazing. Something finally went exactly how I wanted it to go.

     Went back to my room, played some video games, watched some Netflix.Asked the front desk about wired internet, they said I have to contact IT. Instead of giving me a URL or a phone number, they gave me some keywords to google to find out where to go. Top notch IT. My wired internet will be activated in 2 to 28 days. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I would really like that.

     Almost forgot about convocation this afternoon. Almost. I made it to the spot we were supposed to meet up at just in time. This was the point in time where I realized that "mandatory" mean different things in high school and college. No one told me that. I probably wouldn't have learned if even one other person from my group came to the "mandatory" convocation. Nothing blogworthy happened at convocation.

     After convocation, there was a tailgating party for the soccer game against UK. I'm not an athlete. Everyone that knows me knows that. Not even a little bit. I grabbed a can of Pepsi (this school serves Pepsi instead of Coke. I'm considering a transfer.) and headed for the door. As I was walking back with a few other like-minded individuals, an interesting vehicle drove by. One of the people I was walking with noticed me watching it drive by, and explained that it's for an engineering competition where teams across the country build and compete dune buggy-esque vehicles. I don't really want to participate, but I DO want to drive that thing. 

     I continued talking to the gentleman and found out he actually works at the Baptist Ministry building on campus. I had met with some students from this organization during my orientation. I was interested in learning more, so I asked him when the next event was. I expected him to just tell me when to stop by, but instead he opened up the building and showed me around. He was especially proud of the new arcade machine they recently obtained. It was built by the father of one of the girls, and it holds 300 games. We played Contra for a while (I played Contra for a while. He ran out of lives on level 1) and talked about old video games the different things the Baptist Student Ministries (hereby referred to as BSM) does. I told him I'd be back on Tuesday, the next time they meet that I don't have class, and I went back to my room.

     I finally remembered to put in the support ticket for wired internet. 2 to 28 days. Hopefully by Tuesday. I preordered some digital games that I have to download. They come out Tuesday. At least I can play my Playstation Vita. I sat down to do that before dinner, and the next time I looked up, the dining hall was closed. It normally closes at 10. It closed at 8 today. I forgot about that. 

     Since I missed dinner, I decided to go out. After all, I eat a lot. I wasn't about to skip a meal. Sent a facebook message out to some of my fellow CS majors asking if anyone wanted to get wings around 11, and one guy said yes. Everyone else was going to bed before that. Something about classes starting in the morning. Who knows?

     10 rolls around. Facebook message pops up. He wanted to go to sleep too. Said what everyone else did, classes tomorrow. No idea what they're talking about. I still needed food, and I remembered a McDonalds next to Waffle House, so I headed there. As would be expected based on the last two days, my order was wrong.The parts of the sandwiches were also assembled in the wrong order, but no one other than me would ever know that. Ever. I saw they were hiring, so I talked to the manager, and they do need more kitchen help. Hadn't really planned on leaving my job, but it's definitely something to consider.

     Came back and everyone was playing NBA 2k14 in one of my roommate's bedroom. I brought a chair in and played. I mentioned earlier I'm not an athlete. This extends into virtual sports. I lost 60 to 111. The rest of my roommates moved in earlier in the week, so they'd gotten to know everybody, so the conversation was basically me introducing myself. They were a bit blown away by the amount of games I own (I swear it's normal). We had some decent conversation and agreed to meet up for breakfast in the morning before classes start. 

     All around, today went a lot better than yesterday did, not that yesterday was bad. I have learned a lot already, and while none of it is related to my major, most of it is probably much more valuable knowledge. I think I'm going to like it here.

1 comment:

  1. So, Jackie and I are meeting for Waffle House soon. It's all your fault! :)

    ReplyDelete