Saturday, August 16, 2014

Move In Day

    I just moved in. First thing to on the agenda was to open the window, because my roommates have it way too hot in here, and one thermostat controls all four rooms. The window was stuck. I fought it and won. Can't get it to close now. Leaving it open for the rest of the year. 

     Obviously, the next thing that needed done was setting up my game consoles. My PS3's wifi is broken, so I need to connect to the internet via a cable. The cable on the opposite side of the room, under my bed. Awesome. Managed to run the cable around the edge of the room, behind my chair, fridge, and dresser, and it just barely reached my PS3. The PS4 was set up with no obstacles. 


     I decided to watch some TV, so I flipped through the channel. Four channels had golf, six had soccer. Three disney channels, four other kids channels. Five news channels, two weather channels. The TV guide, ESPN, and Fox. A few channels showing some crappy movies from decades ago. Three more Fox Sports channels. I am not going to enjoy TV here. Settled on watching boxing on one of the Fox Sports channels. 


     Around this point, one of my roommates decided he was too hot, and instead of battling his window, he just walked into the common area and turned the AC up. I'll never know why I didn't think of that, but my window still won't come down, so I'm living like this from now on. 


     After all of this, I decided to relax with some Call of Duty on my PS3. The wired internet wouldn't connect. Tried connecting it to my PS4. Still no luck. Tried both ports on the wall. Nothing. Sent a facebook message to my friends on campus in STEM majors asking if they were having similar problems.

     I had ordered my textbooks to be shipped to my house. Some were, some were still listed as on hold. I went to the bookstore to ask about them. "Oh we shipped them today." A trip home is in my future.


     Since I was already at the bookstore, I decided to walk a lap around campus. It's bigger than I remembered. I am out of shape. It was a long walk. Campus is really pretty though. Took some time to walk around the lake. Got a reply to my facebook cry for help, saying "You have to go to the front desk and request them to turn it on." Feeling like an idiot for not trying that, I decided to head back to my room.


     Which way was my room? Another lap around campus it is!


     No one was at the front desk. Looked around, and no one was to be found. Decided I'd just wait until later, and go take a shower for now. Those two laps around campus really wore me out. Walked to the elevator, passed a vending machine that sells energy drinks, went to buy one, realized I didn't have any singles on me, and returned to the elevator. Got up to my room, pulled my wallet out of my pocket to grab my ID to swipe myself into my room, had a very vivid image of me leaving my ID on my desk. In my room. 


     I was lucky one of my roommates was in the room (with his girlfriend WOAH) to let me in. I headed to my room quickly, hoping I didn't interrupt anything. Grabbed a change of clothes and headed to my bathroom, only to be disappointed yet again by campus life. The shower head is just about my height. I'm not a tall man. Why isn't it higher up? Also, the kid who I share a bathroom with (not the one now locked in his room with his girlfriend) put the shower curtain up when he moved in earlier this week, and it is also about my height. I'm not a tall man. Why is the shower curtain not higher up? 


     The water seems to be either ice cold or pumped straight from a volcano, with no apparent in between. That was possibly the most uncomfortable shower of my life. On the bright side, it won't be for long, because I get to repeat that uncomfortable shower for the next year. 


     Sat down and played some video games for a while. Nothing eventful happened until I had a pizza party/welcome to STEM meeting. Saw a couple people from high school, and a couple from freshman orientation. Ate some crappy pizza. Then they had a scavenger hunt. Teamed up with the guys from high school, found a few of the items, and then got bored and went back to our rooms to play more video games. 

     There was a mandatory meeting with the RA this evening. I went to buy a Rockstar from a vending machine (having newly acquired singles) and realized while I was buying it that I didn't know where the meeting was. Asked the front desk, and they kindly pointed me to the meeting. I arrived on time and was a little confused. None of the people living in my hall were there. Asked the RA that was giving the meeting, and I was on the wrong side of the building. So I walked across the building. Meeting was waiting on me. Great.

     Came back from the meeting and that roommate from earlier had a different girl with him. Just thought that would be fun to know.

     Some sort of ruckus was happening on the soccer field when I got back. A couple of people were playing instruments and singing. This wouldn't have bothered me, if the soccer field wasn't right outside of my window that I still haven't gotten closed. The music was not good. One band played a song that seemed to be a loop of "I'm going to kill you" in a really melodious tone. Struggled with the window for a while, gave up. 

     Helped my roommate hook his TV up to the cable. He couldn't figure out how to use the cables. You plug cables in. You're an adult. You should know this. Said the guy who can't close a window.

     A whole lot of nothing happened, so I decided to go for a late night walk. Came back, and he had both girls with him this time. He's been on campus for two days. Dude moves quick.

     Me and my roommates were going to go to Applebees, but everyone lost track of time and it's 1 AM now. They're all going to bed. I just drank a red bull. I'm hungry. All of the restaurants on campus are closed. There's a Waffle House about 10 minutes from here. Probably going to go to Waffle House.

     Wow, this post was long. Most of them won't be like this. It was just a very eventful day.
   




No comments:

Post a Comment