Saturday, September 13, 2014

School Activities

     Most of this week was pretty dry. The last two days were not.

     I went to Gamestop. Again. I've been to six different Gamestop locations since moving. I might have a problem. I grabbed my game, and while I was paying, I casually asked the employee if she knew if they had any positions open. I mentioned in an earlier post that I left my job back home, and I still haven't gotten a new one. I hit a stroke of luck! They are actually hiring a bunch of people. She gave me an application, and told me to come back in two weeks for open interviews. Wish me luck on that one, I've wanted to work at Gamestop since I was a kid.

     Yesterday, there was a meeting for the school's Cyber Defense Team. I had been really interested in this when I heard about it at orientation, so I stopped by. It seems like it'll be a blast, even though I don't really know anything that will be helpful (yet). They've got training sessions for new kids every Tuesday, which I will definitely be attending. There's also a competition next weekend that I'm going to go to. They said that, more often than not, the new kids end up being useful for these ones. I also spent some time on their IRC channel chatting with the members and getting to know them. Everyone seems super eager to teach the new kids. I'm very excited.

     Super Smash Bros is one of my favorite games. There's a new one coming out next month. I am VERY excited. Nintendo released a limited access demo yesterday. I didn't get it. They gave out four codes to everyone that did. I DID manage to get a code from a friend. Excited to finally get to play, I booted up my 3DS, only to find out that it doesn't work on the wifi network in my dorm. Some issue with the security settings. Not about to be defeated by this, I walked across campus to a different wifi network. At midnight. I sat on a bench alone in the dark for half an hour as this demo downloaded. Worth every second.

     I walked back to my building to play the game, but I noticed it was a really nice night out, and there were people playing volleyball outside, so I sat down on a bench outside my building across from the volleyball court and booted up the game. After about 15 minutes, a cop drove by down to the parking lot. He got out, and walked up to where I was. He stood there for a minute, looked around, and then approached me. Apparently, he had gotten a report about suspicious activity in this location. I explained what I was doing (there isn't any sort of curfew, and tons of people were out) and told him I hadn't seen anything since I'd sat down. I offered to go inside, but he told me it was fine for me to be out there. He went on his way, after watching me play a match of Smash. Guess he's a fan too. 

     I ended up going inside shortly after, because I didn't want to cause any more issues (if the call had been about me sitting on the bench. The world will never know). I ended up staying up until 5 playing. 

     Didn't wake up until 2 or so this afternoon. I had decided to clean my room this weekend, so I got on that. It actually looks really good now. I finally got my posters hung up, and my desk is cleared off. I vacuumed up the place and it looks really nice. 

     I collect a lot of video games. Sometimes this involves tracking down copies of rare games. It can be really difficult to find certain games, and it can be even harder to find them for a good price. I have a multipage word document of games I've been looking for. Since I'm a bit away from home, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if I could get any of them. Much to my surprise, one I had been looking for for over a year was at a Gamestop about fifteen minutes away. 

     Needless to say, I got lost. Very lost. I did end up finding it, but not after walking around for twenty minutes. What was supposed to be a quick pickup turned into an hour long journey. I'm glad I finally found a copy of that game though. 

    

1 comment: